Tuesday 8 December 2009

Barrow Boys


Replay tonight at AFC Barrow. Barrow-in-Furness.

It's not really possible to travel further to watch football within England than a visit to Barrow-in-Furness from down South.

It's a trip the near length of the M6 to the lake district, then a further hour west past all the beautiful lakes and mountains to the slightly less salubrious town of Barrow.

Now, I'm sure Barrow has it's plus points which I was unable to uncover from a two hour trip in August 2008. Yet I don't think, in 15 years of visiting various armpits of England & Wales watching Oxford, that I've ever visited a more unpleasant & unwelcoming town than Barrow-in-Furness.

But I would love to be at Holker Street tonight.

This is something my Fiancée just can't grasp - the sheer bloody-mindedness of wanting to make a 10-hour round-trip to an intimidating provincial town and stand on a frozen, Cumbrian open terrace for 2 hours before coming straight back.

To be honest, it is an addiction that is hard to explain. Sadly for me, it's cold turkey tonight as I couldn't justify the two days off work a trip to Barrow in mid-week would require.

It'll be Jerome & Nick for me this evening - and I can't wait for that either.

No comments: