Wednesday 11 August 2010

Brizzle Dazzled

Carling Cup, 1st Round.
OUFC 6 Bristol Rovers 1.

Christ alive.

I wasn't expecting that.

As I now work down in the bowels of England in Kent's Feral Ashford, getting to night games at the KasStad is something of a hassle, especially as leaving early is always something I'm made to feel quite dirty about asking of my boss.

Nonetheless, I sneaked out at 4.30pm last night and arrived, tired, in Oxford just after 7pm for the customary social how-do-you-do in The Blackbird before strolling down Knight's Road towards the floodlights, shining warmly into the night sky.

On the walk down, Branos spicy chicken burger in hand, I was pondering whether my journey back to London that evening was going to be another one I didn't enjoy. Tired, struggling to stay awake and let-down, wondering why I'd gone so far out of my way to watch us disappoint yet again.

Such is the pessimism that is almost ingrained after so many years of slide, that even a Wembley victory cannot totally stop my mind wondering to when Oxford are next going to make me wish I hadn't bothered attending.

Couple that ingrained expectation of disappointment with the fact that we were playing against an established League 1 side, and I did expect we'd struggle to be in the hat for Round 2 today.

Well how ridiculously wrong can you be.

Apart from a short spell at the very start when they did look half a yard faster than us breaking forward, Rovers were in truth nowhere near us. They might have flattered to deceive by pulling a goal back shortly after Oxford went 2 up, but that lapse in allowing Rovers space and time to shoot was a blip soon forgotten as 5 goals rattled the net in the space of 11 minutes.

When our Fourth goal went in, I noticed boyhood Rovers fan Ryan Clarke in our goal turn back towards his goal and wince, rather than celebrate. Ryan, I'll forgive you for not being over far enough for that one Rovers strike as clearly there was a part of you that found the humiliation of your hometown club last night hard to stomach.

All 6 goals Oxford scored were fantastic strikes, with Constable's cheeky scissor kick to make it 5 in front of the East Stand my personal favourite.

Clearly, Rovers fans will have some questions about some poor defending, but if the argument from U's critics after Saturday was that our finishing wasn't up to League 2 standard yet, that charge was answered with 6 very heavy thumps from our attacking line's boots.

So, returning to my car after the game, it was elation and adrenaline instead of caffeine that kept me alert for the drive home. Can't wait for Saturday now. Boy it's good to be back!

No comments: