Tuesday 17 August 2010

Bury-ed Alive



nPower League 2
Saturday, 14th August 2010
OUFC 1 Bury 2
Att. 7,552

What a disappointment in the end that was then. I thought that after the romance of Wembley that all these 'special occassions' were meant to go our way.

Our return to the League Cup certainly did, so why couldn't our first home game back in the football league? All that excitement and adrenaline since Tuesday evening, all building up to 3pm on Saturday and yet ending 2 hours later with a damp squib of anti-climax.

The day for me started with a trip to the Fulham Road to pick up a suit, driving past Stamford Bridge at around 10am where preparations were already underway for their first game of the season that afternoon. The burger vans were out in force and the whiff of plastic gave away the presence of Chelsea fans in the vicinity, already stalking out another season of success watching 11 nasty, overpaid arseholes sneer their way arrogantly to the title.

None of that bollocks for me - After picking up my tweed I was straight on the A40 and off to the shire to watch the boys in (mostly blue &)Yellow return to the Football League.

The obligatory Branos spicy chicken burger again preceded my march from Blackbird Leys down to Grenoble Road and full of hope and excitement, I went to the club shop with the intention of spending money on crap I didn't need.

Sadly, the queues were too long so I resisted the urge to pick up one of those new mostly blue novelty home shirts this time. So pleasing though to see those queues - there is hardly more exciting stuff in stock than there has been for the past near-decade down there, but having time and again in recent seasons been the only person in there, it's great to see fans flocking back and as excited as me.

So, then into the ground and a warm handshake and smile for all of my fellow ST-holders nearby. I only saw them on Tuesday night, but it still felt like the 'real' start to the season. Ooh I was excited.

They'd even giganticised the programme! I could now see every freckle and every follicle on Chris Wilder's badly-shaved face. something I never thought I would get the chance to do, so that was good.

My excitement even extended to purchasing a 'match badge' from a geezer who is doing a badge for every home game this season. The mad sod. Still, my collecting-OCD kicked in and it looks like I may have to get them all now. Damn you, badge man.

The result, obviously, was a bit of a let down after all the expectation and excitement. Yet the performance was not. We played well, we created chances - it just wasn't going to be our day. Bury were also an organised side who took advantage perhaps of our naivety at the back - not sure we'd have been opened up so quickly and easily as that in the Conference.

But we'll learn. I'm still confident - Bury are a decent side at this level and if we tighten up at the back we'll win games at this level with our potency & options upfront.

So, next up? Wycombe. See you in the White Horse...

No comments: